As a designer, it's my job to focus what makes each of my clients feel the happiest in their homes. I pride myself on having the ability to work within a range of design styles, but - and this is true with all good designers - I have to put a little bit of myself into each one of my projects. Today I thought it might be fun to share a little insight into what you can expect to see in any room I've had a hand in creating.
1. There will be classic design elements. Particularly the anchor pieces. Classic pieces that have been around for centuries and will continue to be relevant as time marches on.
Here is a perfect example. The antique sideboard and gorgeous Persian rug are timeless design elements that will never ever go out of style, and they provide the foundation for the direction of the space.
2. While I strive to incorporate timeless classics into my projects, I have a reputation for mixing different design styles. There is no formula I use for mixing design styles - it's an intuitive thing - I just "know" what types of seemingly unrelated items would bring out the best in each other.
3. Everyone thinks decorating and design are such serious, high falutin' business. And while it's important to get the scale, mood, and functionality of a space right, I also firmly believe that decorating should be fun, so I like to bring a little whimsy to a space. In my kitchen (below) I've done just that with some unexpected art over the dining table. It makes me smile every time I see it!
And (below) in a client's family room, the Greyhound statues are a whimsical accent that's also personal ( my clients are dog lovers!) My client loved these statues so much that she went to 4 pet stores to find collars small enough to fit them!
4. Color. I can't begin to describe how much I adore working with color - and I think it shows. Color is everything to a room! Not only is it important to get the backdrop of your space right with the perfect paint color, it also creates the mood you want your space to convey - whether it's tranquility, exuberance, or comfort - color is a major player! Working with pretty color combinations makes my heart happy.
but neutrals are colors too, and I enjoy the challenge of working within a neutral palette.
5. And finally, there's a feeling of comfort and familiarity to the rooms I design, and yet they feel newer, and younger - fresh!
So to summarize, if I had to describe my signature style with just a few adjectives, it would be something like "Fresh, Comfortable and Classic with an Eclectic Twist".
If you're in the Chattanooga area and struggling to find a design direction, I can help you define your signature style too! Call me at 423.653.3186.